A BA/BS in geography, environmental science, or a related discipline is normally required for admission into the MS and PhD programs.
Admission also requires a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale in previous coursework and a minimum combined score of 300 on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE.
Under exceptional circumstances, admission may be considered if a student satisfies only one of the two scoring criteria but has notable experiences and outstanding recommendations.
Find an Advisor
Before formally applying to the graduate program, applicants must contact a faculty member who shares their academic interests. Students should formally apply to the program only after receiving approval from their potential advisor. No students are admitted without support from a potential advisor.
Complete the Application
To apply, complete the UA Graduate School’s online application. In addition to the requirements of the Graduate School, applicants to graduate programs in geography need to complete the items on the Geography Application Checklist.
You can ensure that your application for admission is fully considered by following these steps:
- Contact a member of the faculty who shares your academic interests. Students should discuss the possibility of entering the graduate program with a potential advisor before they submit an application. If the potential advisor recommends that you apply for admission, proceed to step 2.
- Complete the online UA Graduate School application. As part of this application, you will be required to write a statement of purpose. Be sure to clearly explain your academic and career goals and state the name of the faculty member that has agreed to serve as your advisor.
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities you’ve attended to the Graduate School.
- Submit official scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) to the Graduate School.
- Request at least three letters of recommendation in support of your application. These letters can be submitted electronically through the Graduate School’s online application system. Alternatively, hard copies of the letters may be mailed to
Director of Graduate Admissions
Department of Geography
The University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487
Either submission option for the letters is acceptable.
Download the Graduate Application Checklist as a printable PDF.
Meet the Deadline
For full consideration for admission and funding, applications should be received by February 15 (for fall admission). Although later submissions may be considered for admissions, applications not completed by the deadline are not typically considered for assistantships.
Applications for assistantships in the fall semester should also be received by February 15.
How the Process Works
After the completed applications are approved by the Graduate School, they are provided to the Department of Geography Admissions Committee for review.
Applications are assessed based on academic records, GRE scores, the statement of purpose, experience, and recommendation letters. No student will be admitted to the program without the consent of a potential advisor.
For questions contact:
Dr. Hongxing Liu Professor, and Director of Graduate Studies