Download a PDF version of the following information: GRADUATE_APPLICATION_CHECKLIST
Steps for Prospective Students
You can ensure that your application for admission is fully considered by following these steps:
- Contact a member of the faculty who shares your academic interests. Students should discuss the possibility of entering the graduate program with a potential advisor before they submit an application. If the potential advisor recommends that you apply for admission, proceed to step 2.
- Complete the online UA Graduate School application. As part of this application you will be required to write a statement of purpose. Be sure to clearly explain your academic and career goals and state the name of the faculty member that has agreed to serve as your advisor.
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities you’ve attended to the Graduate School.
- Submit official scores from the Graduate Record Examination to the Graduate School.
- Request at least three letters of recommendation in support of your application. These letters can be submitted electronically through the Graduate School’s online application system. Alternatively, hardcopies of the letters may be mailed to: Director of Graduate Admissions
Department of Geography
The University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487Either submission option for the letters is acceptable.
How the Admission Process Works
After completed applications are approved by the Graduate School, they will be provided to the Department of Geography Admissions Committee for review. Applications will be assessed based on academic records, GRE scores, statement of purpose, experience, and recommendations. No student will be admitted without the consent of the potential advisor.
For full consideration for admission and funding, applications should be completed by February 15 (for the fall semester). Later submissions may be considered for admission, but typically not for funding.
Please contact Justin Hart with questions (205-348-1673 or email@example.com).